Tim Van Dammen, the director of Dirty Sesh’s “Forever” video – the one featuring stalking, terrorising and killing of a woman – has made this comment to my post about the video.
The video you have posted is the internet-only ’shock’ video funded independently by the record label.
This video was NOT funded by NZOA here is the link to the one that was.
Mr Van Dammen’s link shows the video that the record label made differs in the “intro” – the bits where we see the knife repeatedly, the dripping blood, the parts of the women’s body all cut up.
The NZOA video in contrast, just features a woman being stalked and kidnapped after the man she is with is bashed, and closes with her screaming as she looks up to see Dirty Sesh in his hoodie walking towards her. A large knife lies on the table in front of him, next to a pool of dark liquid.
As Mr Van Dammen says in the weekend’s Sunday Star Times article:
It’s about time New Zealand music had a villain.
Poor old Dirty Sesh “hadn’t thought about it” when he made this video.
I understand where they’re coming from but it’s entertainment, it’s fake. I don’t really want to go around stabbing anybody.
I didn’t know Dirty Sesh was Mike King’s son when I posted last week, and Mike King apparently didn’t know anything about the video.
Mike King said he had not seen his son’s music video and was unaware of the controversy.
Except that according to Russell Brown, Dirty Sesh only got a contract with his record label because Daddy funded the cost of the album and video. I guess there’s just a whole lot of people out there who don’t know how this video was made, didn’t have any idea it might upset anyone, and just can’t imagine why the real-life horrific experiences of violence might be triggered by this, to quote Russell Brown, “revolting piece of shit.”
The label, Moving the Crowd, suggest on their website that if we don’t like the video we ask YouTube to censor it.
How about we ask Moving the Crowd not to make such crap in the first place?
And continue to ask NZOA why they are funding such women hatred.
To be clear, I don’t hold them solely responsible for making the video – but we do pay their wages, and I expect them to be a bit more careful with my money than this rubbish.